Sunday, November 22, 2009

Birthday!!

I kept thinking to myself "this is really great" and "I'm not worthy of all this" as the night went on.

First I pull into the driveway of Hillcrest Vinyards to the sound of Scotland the Brave being played on the bagpipes. It always gives me chills to hear the pipes. Olga told me to go ahead and go in the tasting room. I walked in to see my parents sitting there. I thought to myself, "cool, we're going to have dinner with my parents and the Demara family" (owners of the vineyard). Then suddenly a bunch of people jumped up from behind the counters, "Surprise!"

Wow! I was really surprised. Everyone had a wine glass in their hand and were calling for a speach. I made a short impromtu toast to all that were there. We then went into the main cellar. There were tables set up with tons of my favorite foods, wine, Russian Vodka, and fruit juice.

Wonderful toasts were made in my behalf from my family and friends. We watched two really well done video presentations of my life and of family and friends wishing me a Happy Birthday. As people made toasts, I was presented with gifts.

The video presentations were great. Our Russian family wished me well. Papa Oleg, Mamma Tanya, Grandpa Vasya, and Baba Polya all took a moment to wish me health, prosperity, and happiness. Vera, Victor, and Lilya did a special poetic presentation that was a great display of their talents. Also on that video was a greeting from Alexenko Sensei. He spoke of how long we have known each other and Judo time together.

The other presentation was a glimpse into my life. Everyone got to see pictures of me that I hadn't even seen in years. My favorite part was about when Malcolm was born.

We played a few party games and then we got to watch Samurai and the Cherry Blossoms perform. Olga, Polina, Penny, Sarah, Ryan, Anthony, and Jessee had been getting together to rehearse secretly. They performed their original song "The one who has gone before". It was really cool.

I have been to a few Jubilee celebrations in Russia, so the style of the party was something I was familiar with. Even though it was new to most, it seemed like everyone had a really good time.

My wife had been planning this event since July. Many of the friends and family that were there also took part in the planning and somehow managed to keep it a secret from me. What a bunch of ninjas they are!

Anyway, thank you to everyone that attended and helped make it happen. I am truly flattered and amazed. You guys are all great!

No comments:

Post a Comment